Saturday 13 August 2011

CATS...IN...SPAAAAACE!

This is my little friend Emmy (Em or Little Em for short?)


She's getting on a bit now, bless her, but the other day I found a lump on her belly! What is it with all these lumps at the moment?


 Anyway, she needed an operation to remove it. A couple of years ago she had a similar lump removed (malignant) so the vets feared the worst again this time. But it came away clean and there were no nasties on the x-rays anywhere else...BANG!...

...while she was under the anesthetic, we had her partially shaved. She's a very, very furry cat usually. She looks big when she's got the fur, but when shaved, she's just the skinniest thing you've ever seen...BASH, BANG!...


To stop her eating her stitches, she's had to wear this funnel which looks like a space helmet. Which she hates...SCRAAATCH, BANG!, SCREEEEETCH...

...Em's not quite managed to gauge distances with it yet. I can hear her now, bashing into the furniture...BANG!...hopefully she'll put up with it 'til the stitches come out next week...RATTLE, RATTLE, BANG!...and makes a full recovery...SCRRAAAAPE, BANG!...

...as long as she doesn't look up when it's raining.

15 comments:

Crow said...

Little Em is such a pretty kitty. Even in her space suit. I am glad to hear she is cancer free and out in the universe trying to find her center again. >..<

When I saw you post "cats in space" I had to stop a moment and wonder if I hadn't grown up with you. My sisters and I used to fold our kitty's ears back (she had big ears andit was painless, just annoying.) Sometimes they would stay like that for a few minutes and we would say "Cats in SPAAACE" as we picked her up swriling around like a spaceship. We got it from the muppets. Miss piggy was "Pigs in Space" A whole skit, anyway, a whole boring story, but your post did give me pause..., wait, was HE there??? No. Crazy.

Tom Stephenson said...

I knew a dog which had to wear one of those collars permanently. It used to use it as a scoop to catch balls. It went missing for hours one day, then returned home with lorry tyre-prints all over the collar. There didn't seem to be anything wrong with it though.

Craig said...

She's a lovely little thing. Glad that the lump wasn't anything nasty.

Janet said...

Glad to hear she will soon be on the mend Chris-she reminds me of a tortie we use to have- a right little character and just as pretty ! -take care x

Samantha said...

Oh, Chris..scary! Glad she was cancer free!

We call that the Cone Of Shame as all of our pets have been mortified in them. ;)

Cecile said...

awww.... good to know she's healing.. I thought the dish was a scarf! cute little thing. I hope she heals fast.. :(

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I'm so glad she's okay! It's hard to see them growing old. We have 3 and the youngest is 12.

We shave our long hairs in the summer months - I do it myself.

Amy Saia said...

I don't know if the collar is creating some sort of halo effect on her, but she is just the prettiest cat I think I've ever seen. Glad to hear she's on the mend.

Chris said...

Thank you, you lovely feline loving people (Em says thanks too from inside her space helmet)

Don't know what I'd do without this little cat jumping onto my head at 4.30 in the morning...

littlekarstar said...

Awwww hope she recovers quickly and fully. She is so sweet.

Rebecca said...

Such a cute cat.. helmet and all! I found my blind 17 year old cat on the roof of my house recently. I have know idea how he got up there and he didn't have a clue where he was. Since then he's officially an indoor cat.--Guess you can include me on your list of feline loving people!

936000 said...

Bless her, she is is adorable! Glad everything went well!!
Crow-I loved the Pigs In Space bit. I did the same thing when I read Chris' title, I read it:
Caaaaats in Spaaaaaace.....

Molly said...

Aw, bless her little heart - hope she's well on the mend again soon. It's called an Elizabethan Collar. Cysts seem to be quite common so hope she goes on OK. Fadgy, our cat had one on her leg a couple of years ago - how she hated that collar! She found a way of squeezing her head through it and one morning she managed to get one paw through the centre - she's fine now

Chris said...

Sounds like we are all 'Muppet' veterans...

She's bashing into the furniture a lot less now. Couple of more days and the collar can come off.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What a sweetie !
She seems to be tolerating her "E" collar very well, most cats hate them.
Glad to hear the surgery went well, and hope this is the last of those lumps.
~Jo