Thursday 3 February 2011

Trouble At Mill...

I went to another allotment committee meeting last night and caused another argument... Honestly I don't think I'm cut out for politics. Maybe my people skills could do with polishing up. I tend to blurt out what's on my mind especially if I'm particularly annoyed or wound up about something.

Last year I had the dubious honour of being elected onto the committee perhaps in the naive hope that my contribution as the youngest member might help to effect some improvements to the site.

Those of you who are or have been on a waiting list for an allotment for literally years, look away now...


Believe it or not this is a 'live' plot and has been allowed to stay like this for years whilst people wait for a chance to grow there own veg. O.k., it's winter but some of the plots look like this in the height of summer too!




Piles of rat infested rubbish litter some of the plots...



And poultry is kept in the most appauling conditions, even in greenhouses where they bake in summer and freeze in winter.

Why is this allowed to happen? Because the committee really does not want to know, like an aquarium full of toothless sharks - they have no bite. Saying that some of the members are threatened with eviction if they break the rules but not everyone is required to adhere to them. Some can do what they please whilst others seem to be picked on, usually the decent sorts who don't make much of a fuss. Selective rules. Very unfair.

There's also been another spate of thefts, tools and equipment mainly, but sometimes produce too (how bad is that, actually stealing someone else's food?). It is largely recognised (though not proved) that the culprits are other members. I've set some tempting traps to see if I can catch them myself (not mantraps or pits with pungy sticks I hasten to add, tempting though that may be)...


I wonder how many of you have these problems on your site, whether you are a disenchanted part of a mock committee or just a gardener wanting to grow some veg for your dinner.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Right on! - it's a reflection of society don't you think? Young people get the blame for alot, especially drinking and violence - but this kind of thing is mean, spiteful and selfish - things I've noticed more and more in the very people that need to the youngsters how to live with respect for others. I think the current generation gap is more like a warzone - speaking as a newly 40 something, I feel trapped in the middle offering common sense to youngsters while placating the 'wise'? elders...

John Going Gently said...

chicken in a greenhouse
dreadful!
my last 10 hens came from a guy who kept them in a wendy house without food and water!